Sheinbaum Rejects U.S. Military Action in Mexico Following Reports of Trump Order on Cartels
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum firmly dismissed any possibility of a U.S. military incursion into Mexico, following reports that Donald Trump had signed a directive authorizing military force against drug cartels labeled as terrorist organizations in Latin America.
“The United States will not be entering Mexico with its military,” Sheinbaum said during a press briefing on Friday. “We collaborate, we cooperate—but an invasion is not on the table. Absolutely not.”
Sheinbaum emphasized that her administration had been informed of the executive order, but stressed that it “has nothing to do with any U.S. military or institution operating within our territory. There is no risk of an invasion.”
Following her comments, Mexico’s foreign ministry issued a statement reiterating that it would not permit the presence of U.S. troops on Mexican soil. The U.S. Embassy in Mexico had earlier released a message affirming that both governments were committed to using “every tool at our disposal to protect our peoples” from drug trafficking organizations.
Trump’s Secret Military Directive and Its Implications
The New York Times was first to report Trump’s secret directive to the Pentagon, citing unnamed sources. According to the report, the order creates an official legal framework for possible U.S. military operations—at sea and on foreign land—targeting cartels.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio welcomed the directive, claiming it expands the government’s options in confronting drug trafficking networks.
“This allows us to go after their operations using all elements of American power—military, intelligence, defense,” Rubio said. “We need to treat them like armed terrorist groups, not just drug dealers.”
New Cartel Designations and Escalation of Tactics
In February, Trump’s administration designated seven criminal groups—including five major Mexican cartels—as foreign terrorist organizations. The White House argued these groups posed a security threat greater than that of traditional organized crime, citing their influence within foreign governments across the Americas.
While U.S. agencies already have various tools to combat international crime, this designation expands legal grounds for prosecution, including the ability to charge individuals who provide “material support” to the cartels.
The Trump administration has also deployed thousands of troops, drones, and surveillance aircraft to the U.S.-Mexico border to intercept drug smuggling—especially fentanyl—and curb undocumented immigration. However, this new order signals a far more aggressive approach, potentially paving the way for unilateral military action in the region.
Support and Concerns From U.S. Officials
Jack Riley, a former deputy administrator at the Drug Enforcement Administration and key figure in the capture of cartel leader Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, supported the move.
“This is the logical next step,” said Riley. “It could lead to more training for foreign partners, increased funding, and give U.S. agencies more authority abroad.”
Still, Riley acknowledged potential legal barriers, suggesting the order could face constitutional challenges in the U.S. for bypassing congressional approval.
“You’ll probably see lawsuits over whether Trump even has the authority to do this. But it doesn’t seem to deter him.”
Experts Warn of Damage to U.S.-Mexico Relations
Security analysts in Mexico voiced strong concerns over the move, warning that it may do more harm than good—both in terms of its effectiveness and the bilateral relationship.
“This isn’t helpful,” said Cecilia Farfán-Méndez, head of the North American Observatory at the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime. “It reflects a flawed understanding of how these illicit markets function and how best to dismantle them.”
The timing of the news complicates an already delicate moment in U.S.-Mexico relations. Mexico is currently negotiating both a trade agreement and a new security framework with the U.S.—a deal Sheinbaum has said is nearing completion.
Although the two countries have a history of security cooperation—such as the Mérida Initiative under former President Felipe Calderón—Farfán-Méndez noted that U.S. troops operating in Mexico has long been considered a red line.
“If the U.S. acts unilaterally, why should Mexico keep collaborating?” she asked. “This could force Mexico to reconsider the entire basis of the relationship.”
.

Jagger Beltran is the founder and author of Computer Site Engineering, a blog dedicated to exploring the latest in computing, hardware, and software. With a passion for technology, he provides in-depth insights to help readers stay ahead in the digital world.